|Posted by MortalKombatX on April 27, 2014 at 9:55 PM|
Where all the characters in Mortal Kombat X came from.
Mortal Kombat 1
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
90's MK Comics
MK Animated Video
MK: Defenders of the Realm (cartoon)
Deleted MK Characters
MK1 - Minamoto, Michael Grimm, Lin Kuei, Kitsune, Rukoro
MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero - NetherRealm Hound
MK Gold (4) - Belokk
MK Deadly Alliance - Baphomet
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Bo Rai Cho, Moloch, Drahmin, Kenshi, Frost
Mortal Kombat: Deception
The One Being, Onaga
Mortal Kombat: Armaggeddon
Everything That Is New:
- Baphomet, deleted character, is now used, not as an Elder Demon, but as the master of the NetherRealm.
- Belokk, deleted character, is now used, in name only, not an Elder Demon anymore, but a red djinn, or genie.
- Izanami. There was a female Elder God in MK9, but I give her the name Izanami, named after Izanami-no-mikoto from Japanese Shinto, and I describe her as being Raiden's mother, and the husband of Shinnok before his banishment to the NetherRealm.
- Ra, God of the Sun. From Egyptian mythology.
- Venus, Goddess of Beauty. From Roman.
- Theia, Goddess of Light. From Greek, in name and job title only.
- Luna, Goddess of the Moon. Entirely new.
- Gaia, from Greek. In the past, the only time she's been seen in Mortal Kombat was being referenced in the 1995 MK novel. However, in keeping with Greek mythology, she's more of a spirit who is everywhere than a Goddess contained in a body. I establish Gaia as a Goddess contained in a body, who can control nature.
- Pearl, like Jade except wearing white, inspired by a dream that was inspired by 1994 MK fan art.
I come up with names for the Water God and Fire God: Aegaen and Hephaestus. Ever since I was a kid, I've used my brother Justin's suggested name, O'Shinn, for the Water God. However, at age 25, for MKX, I decided to change the name from O'Shinn to the nearest match in actual mythological literature. So I searched Google for a complete list of all the Water Gods ever. Aegaen was the one I liked the best. It sure felt strange to pass by an Aegaen hotel. Also an Abacus building.
- Cavemen Enngok and Rawa are brand-new.
- Shao Ming, mortal mother of Shao Kahn. Brand-new. Think Emperor Ming.
- Kaylani, Princess of Cryo, the Ice Realm. Brand-new. Her costume is based on Mileena's MK: Deception costume, but in crystal-blue.
NEW SPECIES I HAVE ADDED:
- doppelgangers, living gargoyles, witches, genies.
- Cryo, the Ice Realm. MK Deception says that the Cryomancers came from . . . well, somewhere. In a couple of the characters' endings, Sub-Zero and Frost embark on a journey to explore their ancestry with the Cryomancers. MK Deception IMPLIES a pretty clear message that there's some sort of ice-cold realm out there. I present: Cryo, the Ice Realm - I really think there could be no other name for an MK ice realm (and remember, I, a kid, came up with this) - where the Cryomancers served, until Shao Kahn showed up, challenged the realm to 10 tournaments, and overwhelmed Cryo with Outworld, to establish Cryo as one of the provinces of Outworld. Oh, right, I forgot to mention - in the 90's MK comics, Outworld is split into many provinces, one of which is underground Kuatan, home of the Shokan species. Movie 2, MK: Annihilation, says that it takes 6 days to merge a realm with Outworld. Thus I assume that Shao Kahn took 6 days to merge Edenia, 6 days to merge Kuatan, 6 days to merge Cryo the Ice Realm, and thus every merged realm becomes one province of Outworld.
- Kantarian, the Centaur realm, is a new name. A girl at my college had the last name Kantarian and it seemed like a good name for the Centaur realm.
- Ochanep, realm of aliens. Now that's a different twist on MK: space aliens. I was really unsure about this, as I feared it might ruin MK. MK3 had the mini-game Galaga, a space-themed game that, according to MK3, takes place in Rellim Ohcanep, meaning Miller Penacho's name backwards. What about, instead of Rellim Ohcanep, it's the alien realm of Ochanep? With a new, original MK cast of aliens. Used very briefly, when I outline all the 9 realms Shao Kahn conquered. Why space aliens? Because they could use green lasers to capture that "green laser light" element of MK: the Live Tour, the stage theater production. I use the aliens again in the "Shao Kahn Takes Earth" segment, adding spaceships flying around with lasers to topple buildings to give Shao Kahn that presence of "the War of the Worlds".
- Ar'qun, desert realm of men and genies, is brand-new. I have thought for a decade that genies and witches would be great in Mortal Kombat. Deadly Alliance added an army of Chinese mummies, and Deception added the Dragon King, so why not genies and witches? Belokk is now the name of a red genie in MK1.
Those are my new entries into Mortal Kombat.